Amarantus Provides Update on #C4CT Concussion Awareness Summit on June 21 in Minneapolis
Conference will feature sports and neurology experts discussing concussion issues with an emphasis on addressing and identifying research, development and treatment opportunities
SUNNYVALE, Calif.-- Amarantus BioScience Holdings, Inc. (OTCQB: AMBS), a biotechnology company discovering and developing treatments and diagnostics for diseases associated with neurodegeneration and apoptosis, provided an update on the Coalition for Concussion Treatment (#C4CT) Concussion Awareness Summit (#C4CT Summit) being held at the Minneapolis Club in Minnesota on June 21, 2013. (Please note change from previous date of June 19.)
The #C4CT Summit will focus on important scientific, medical, translational and prevention-related topics of Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) and the long-term impacts on athletes and soldiers. Banyan Biomarkers, Inc., a leading brain injury diagnostic company, will join Brewer Sports International (BSI), Toi Cook Management and Amarantus as co-hosts.
“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report more than one million sports-related traumatic brain injuries in the U.S. every year, and President Obama recently outlined the need for better research on the brain, particularly in relation to traumatic brain injuries,” said Gerald E. Commissiong, President and CEO of Amarantus. “We are proud to be among the first to unite the groups directly affected by these issues, in particular current and former professional athletes, with the scientists, physicians and entrepreneurs who will ultimately lead the way in developing solutions to these devastating problems.”
Registration for the Summit begins at 9:30 am, followed by various presentations and panel discussions from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm. Panels will include industry experts, international business leaders, professional sports organizations and numerous current and former professional athletes including those directly impacted by TBI. A preliminary agenda of confirmed speakers, panelists, athletes and other stakeholders is provided below. Summit sponsorship opportunities are available and include panel sponsorships, logo presence in all marketing efforts and collateral surrounding the event, local and national media exposure and opportunities for product display.
A portion of the proceeds from the #C4CT Summit will benefit One Mind for Research (One Mind - (a division of the International Mental Health Research Organization, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation)), that is taking a lead role in the research, funding, marketing and public awareness of mental illness and brain injury. One Mind is launching a major new TBI research initiative, the Gemini Program. The program will track 3,000-5,000 patients for several years, collect the clinical data in a shared portal and ultimately provide improved diagnostics and treatments for TBI. It is being funded by a coalition of public, private and corporate partners, including the Wounded Warrior Project, which has awarded the program with a $3.5 Million challenge grant that will match new funding up to that amount. A part of the proceeds generated from the summit through corporate sponsorships and ticket sales will be donated to support the matching portion of the Gemini Program. Donations can also be made directly to One Mind at www.1mind4research.org.
The #C4CT Summit is the opening event of the two-day Brewer Sports Symposium, which also includes the 3rd Annual Sports Law for Rookies and Veterans CLE. The Symposium will be held prior to the 8th Annual Blue Carpet Celebrity Weekend hosted by The Jack Brewer Foundation, providing various entertainment options for guests and panelists attending the symposium including exclusive opportunities to network with numerous industry experts, professional athletes, celebrities and an array of international diplomats and high-profile business executives from across the globe.
Preliminary Agenda and Confirmed Speakers to Date:
- 9:30-10:45am: Registration and Brunch: featuring former National Football League (NFL) running back Thomas Jones and his documentary series on head injuries and related issues faced by ex-players
- 10:45am: Welcome: Jack Brewer (CEO of The Brewer Group/Former NFL Player) and Gerald Commissiong (President/CEO of Amarantus and former Canadian Football League player)
- 11:00am-11:45am: Brunch Keynote: Dr. Robert Cantu, MA, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.A.N.S., F.I.C.S., F.A.C.S.M. (Clinical Professor Department of Neurosurgery and Co-Director Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA; Senior Advisor to the NFL Head, Neck and Spine Committee; Section Co-Chair Mackey-White National Football League Players Association Traumatic Brain Injury Committee; Co-Founder and Chairman Medical Advisory Board Sports Legacy Institute and more)
- 12:00-12:45pm: Basic Science: Bruce Lyeth, Ph.D. (Professor, Department of Neurological Surgery at University of California, Davis) and Jay Clugston, M.D. (Team physician for the University of Florida Athletic Association)
- 12:45-1:30pm: Diagnostic Testing for TBI: Ron Hayes, Ph.D. (Founder of Banyan Biomarkers); Adam J. Simon, Ph.D. (Founder and CEO of CERORA, Inc.)
- 1:30-2:15pm: Panel 1: Featuring various scientists and presentations from science, diagnostic, treatment and equipment tracks
- 2:15-2:45pm: Networking Break and Product Demonstrations
- 2:45-3:30pm: Equipment and Prevention: Gunnar Brolinson, D.O. (Associate Professor/Discipline Chair of Sports Medicine)
- 3:45-4:45pm: Treatment Track and Innovative Technologies: Kim A. Heidenreich, Ph.D. (Professor of Pharmacology at University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine), GTX Corp
- 4:45-6:00pm: Panel 2: Featuring current and former professional athletes including NFL players and alumni Thomas Jones, Drayton Florence, Ronnie Cameron, E.J. Henderson, Larry Fitzgerald, Corey Chavous, Barrett Green, Marvin Austin, Nate Jones, Sidney Rice, Mike Jasper, Selvis Capers, Akin Ayodele and more.
For updated information surrounding the #C4CT Summit and Brewer Sports Symposium including registration, please visit www.regonline.com/brewersportssymposium.
Amarantus is a development-stage biotechnology company founded in January 2008. The Company has a focus on developing certain biologics surrounding the intellectual property and proprietary technologies it owns to treat and/or diagnose Parkinson's disease, Traumatic Brain Injury, Ischemic Heart Disease and other human diseases. The Company owns the intellectual property rights to a therapeutic protein known as Mesencephalic-Astrocyte-derived Neurotrophic Factor ("MANF") and is developing MANF-based products as treatments for brain disorders. The Company also is a Founding Member of the Coalition for Concussion Treatment (#C4CT), a movement initiated in collaboration with Brewer Sports International seeking to raise awareness of new treatments in development for concussions and nervous-system disorders. The Company also owns intellectual property and licenses for the diagnosis of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease. For further information please visit www.Amarantus.com.
About Brewer Sports International
Brewer Sports International (BSI) is a multi-faceted global sports management firm within The Brewer Group Companies with a focus on sports lending, event management and consulting for professional athletes, sports agencies, public and private corporations and various partners including international organizations, governments and NGOs. Based in Minneapolis, with offices in New York, Miami, Dallas and Beijing, BSI was founded by Jack Brewer, a five-year National Football League (NFL) veteran and former team captain on three NFL teams. The Company also is a founding member of the Coalition for Concussion Treatment (#C4CT), a movement seeking to raise awareness of new treatments in development for concussions and nervous-system disorders. BSI takes pride in enabling its clients to capitalize on the endless opportunities presented through sport. For more information, visit www.brewersports.com; www.facebook.com/brewersportsinternational; www.twitter.com/brewersports.
About Banyan Biomarkers
Banyan Biomarkers is a spin-out company from the University of Florida and is the leader in developing brain injury in vitro diagnostics. The Company is focused on developing a simple point-of-care blood test that will be used by physicians to detect the presence and severity of brain trauma and improve the medical management of head injured patients. To learn more about Banyan Biomarkers, Inc. visit www.banyanbio.com.
About One Mind for Research
ONE MIND™ is an independent, non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to curing the diseases of the brain and eliminating the stigma and discrimination associated with mental illness and brain injuries. ONE MIND™ sponsors groundbreaking new research and creates portals to shared scientific data, leading to improved diagnostics, more effective treatment, and, ultimately, cures for all types of mental illness and brain injury. For more information, visit www.1mind4research.org.
About Toi Cook Management Group
The Toi Cook Management Group is a corporate sports marketer and branding expert with substantial experience with established and startup companies interested in penetrating the entertainment sector, sports leagues, player unions, and athlete management. The firm places a high premium on providing strategic advice and support, with a focus on intellectual property, contract drafting and union and league negotiation, connecting high level contacts and strategic planning.
Russell Miller, Director of Investor Relations
408-737-2734 x 109
Don Markley, Senior Vice President
Banyan Biomarkers, Inc.
Amy Griffin, Director of Corporate Operations
Brewer Sports International:
Danielle Berman, Director of Interactive Marketing and Public Relations
Lindsay Lommel, Special Events Manager
Alexandria Stock, Sales Assistant
Source: Amarantus BioScience Holdings, Inc.